Here is a clever marketing citation that has been circulated around for many years that delineates the differences between advertising, promotion, publicity, public relations and marketing.
- If the circus is coming to town and you paint a sign saying, “Circus is coming to Fairgrounds Sunday,” that’s Advertising.
- If you put the sign on the back of an elephant and walk him through town, that’s a Promotion.
- If the elephant walks through the Mayor’s flower bed, that’s Publicity.
- If you can get the Mayor to laugh about it, that’s Public Relations.
- And, if you planned the whole thing, that’s Marketing!
In brief, “Marketing” represents the big picture.
Avid hiker, bicyclist, motorcyclist and long-time advertising pro. Founder of Skyworks Marketing, Nonprofit Fire and Our Ventura TV (cable TV). One career highlight was working on a small team that built a business from nothing to over $100 Million in 3 years. Skyworks Marketing provides lead generation and video advertising services. We create custom marketing funnels that provide the highest-quality leads and sales.