Here is a clever marketing citation that has been circulated around that delineates the differences between advertising, promotion, publicity, public relations and marketing.
- If the circus is coming to town and you paint a sign saying, “Circus is coming to Fairgrounds Sunday,” that’s Advertising.
- If you put the sign on the back of an elephant and walk him through town, that’s a Promotion.
- If the elephant walks through the Mayor’s flower bed, that’s Publicity.
- If you can get the Mayor to laugh about it, that’s Public Relations.
- And, if you planned the whole thing, that’s Marketing!