What Is Twitter?
Here’s how Twitter describes itself on their website:
Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?
- Twitter is a free messaging service.
- The message length is short: 140 characters of text.
- The messages are displayed on the user’s online profile page and delivered to other users who have subscribed to them (known as “followers”).
- Senders can restrict delivery to those they wish (such as friends or family), or allow anybody to access their messages (which are called “tweets”).
- The short messages are well-suited for sending and receiving text via mobile devices.
- Twitter messages can be automatically updated on websites, so the instant communication facility of the “tweets” can further serve as a recorded chronology of activity.
- In addition to Tweets updating through websites and as text messages for mobile devices, they can be integrated with instant messaging services.
Twitter was established in March 2006 and has experienced remarkable growth.